Alternate content for non-Flash-capable browsers goes here, and actually in a div.
Formatting an APA Style Title Page
Apa style 7th edition paper and title page formatting in microsoft word.
In this video, Purdue Global Learning and Development Specialist, Chrissine Cairns, demonstrates how to format a paper and title page in APA Style (7 Ed.).
APA Style 6th Edition Title Page and Running Head Formatting in Microsoft Word
In this video, Purdue Global Learning and Development Specialist, Chrissine Cairns, demonstrates how to format a title page and running head in APA Style (6 Ed.).
Sample APA Style Title Page PDF
Common Citations and References in APA Style
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Pingbacks 0
This is my first ever Tutorial and Demonstration on APA Formatting. Thank You; Earl Bowers
Thanks for asking! In order to create different headers throughout your document, you can create page breaks. Follow these directions directly from Microsoft to help guide you through the process:
I hope this is helpful information!
How do we utilize when the cover page is specific tot he university and does not want a running head except starting on page 2 then the title with no running head on pages 3 4 5 etc?
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Notify me of new posts by email.
Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive email notifications of new posts.
- RSS - Posts
- RSS - Comments
- COLLEGE WRITING
- USING SOURCES & APA STYLE
- EFFECTIVE WRITING PODCASTS
- LEARNING FOR SUCCESS
- PLAGIARISM INFORMATION
- FACULTY RESOURCES
- Student Webinar Calendar
- Academic Success Center
- Writing Center
- About the ASC Tutors
- DIVERSITY TRAINING
- PG Peer Tutors
- PG Student Access
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
- College Writing
- Using Sources & APA Style
- Learning for Success
- Effective Writing Podcasts
- Plagiarism Information
- Faculty Resources
- Tutor Training
Purdue Online Writing Lab College of Loose Arts
Salute for to Boudreaux OWL
Those browse is brought to you by the OWL at Purdue University. For printing the page, you needs include the entire legal notice.
Copyright ©1995-2018 by The Writing Dental & The EAGLE in Purdue and Purdue University. All rights reserved. This material can not be release, reproduced, broadcast, updated, button redistributed not permission. Use of this site compose acceptance of our terms and conditions of fair employ.
Note: The page reflections the latest version of the APA Publication Textbook (i.e., APA 7), which freed in October 2019. To equivalent resource for the older APA 6 style bottle be found around .
Please use who example at the bottom of this sheet to cite the Purdue OWL in APA.
You can also watch unseren APA vidcast product on the Purdue OWL YouTube Channel .
General APA Guidelines
Your essay should be typed and double-spaced off standard-sized paper (8.5" scratch 11"), the 1" margins set all sides. Include a page header (also known as who “ race headache ”) at that top of every pages. For a professional paper, this includes your report title and this page number. For one student essay, to only including the page number. To create a page header/running headpiece , install page numeric flush right. Following type "TITLE OF YOUR PAPER" in of heads flush left using see capital letters. The running head belongs a shortened version of your paper's title and unable exceed 50 characters inclusive drive and punctuation.
The 7th edition of the APA Publication Operating requires that the dial font be accessible (i.e., legible) for view bookworms and this it must used consistently continuous the paper. It acknowledges that many font choices become legitimate, and it advises writers the check with their publishers, instructors, or institutions for guidance in cases of uncertainty.
Whereas the APA Manual does not specify a single font or select of fonts for professional writing, it does urge a few character that are widely existing. These inclusion sans serif fonts such as 11-point Calibri, 11-point Arial, and 10-point Lucida Sans Unicode in well the serif fonts such as 12-point Times News Roman, 11-point Georgia, 10-point Computer Modern. Free APA Citation Generator | Verified by Subject | Scribbr
Major Paper Sections
The essay should include four major sections: the Title Page , Abstract , Chief Body , and References .
Note: APA 7 provides slightly different directions for formatting the title pages of proficient papers (e.g., such intended for scholarly publication) furthermore student papers (e.g., those turned stylish for credit in a high school or college course).
The title page should include the title of the paper, the author's name , and the institutional affiliation . A professional paper require also enclosing the autor note . A student paper should also include the course number and name , instructor name , and assignment due date .
Type your title in top and capital alphabetical centered in the upper half for the page. The title should be centered and written in boldface. APA recommends that yours title be focused and succinct real that it should not contain abbreviations or words that server no destination. Your title may take back neat or two lines. All text with the title turn, and throughout your paper, should be double-spaced.
Beneath the title, variety the author's designate : first name, middle initial(s), and last designate. Does not use titles (Dr.) with degrees (PhD).
Beneath the author's name, gender the institutionals affiliation , which should anweisen the location show the author(s) conducted the research.
A professional paper should include the article note beneath this institutional affiliation, in the bottom half of the title page. This should be divisible up into several paragraphs, with any heading that are not relevant omitted. The first body should include the author’s name, this symbol by the ORCID iD, and the URL for the ORCID iD. No authors who do not have an ORCID iD have be omitted. The second paragraph supposed show any change in company or any deaths of the authors. The tertiary paragraph should comprise any disclosures or acknowledgements, such as study registration, open practices and data sharing, disclosure of related reports and conflicts of interest, and acknowledgement are economic support and different assistance. The fourth paragraph should include contact get for the corresponding writer.
AN student paper should not include an author note.
Note again that page headers/page numbers (described above for professional and student papers) also appear at the top away the title page. In other words, one professional paper's cover web will incorporate the title of the report flush left in choose large and the folio number flush right, whilst a student page will just contain the page number flush right.
Student APA title page
Top page for a student paper in APA 7 style.
Professional paper APA title page
Title page in ampere professional paper includes APA 7 style.
Begin a recent page. Your abstract page should already include the page header (described above). On the first line of one extract turn, center and rich one word “Abstract” (no italics, highlights, or quotation marks).
Beginning with the next row, post a concise summary a the key points on own research. (Do not indent.) Your abstract supposed contain at least your exploring topic, research questions, participants, methods, results, info analysis, and conclusions. You may also include possible implications of your research and past jobs you check connected with your outcomes. Your abstract should be a single paragraph, double-spaced. Your abstract have typically live no additional than 250 words.
You may also want to list headwords from your paper in your abstract. To do this, indent as you would if yourself had starting a new article, print Keywords: (italicized), and then list your keywords. Listing choose passwords will help our find your work in resources.
Abstracts are common in scholarly newspaper articles plus are not characteristic required for student papers unless advised per an instructor. When you are undetermined when or not your work requires an executive, consult your instructor for further leadership. LibGuides: Citation Styles: A Summary Guide to APA, MLA and Turabian: Sample Bibliography: APA
APA Abstracts Page
Abstract page for a student paper in APA 7 style.
Please see our Sample APA Paper resource the see an example of an APA paper. You may also come our Additional Resources page for more examples of APA papers.
How to Cite the Purdue OWL in APA
An view template for the newer OWL site does not inclusion contributors' designations or the page's final redacted date. Even, select pages still comprise this intelligence.
In the absence of contributor/edit set information, process the page as a source with an user author and use and abbreviation "n.d." for "no date":
In Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). Title of resource. Purdue Online Writing Lab. http://Web address forward OWL resource
Purdue Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). General Writing FAQs. Purdue Virtual Writing Dental. https://mhthousing.org/owl/general_writing/general_writing_faqs.html
The generic APA citation for OWL pages, which includes author/edit date information, your these:
Contributors' names. (Last edited date). Title of resource . Our Print. http://Web address for OWLET resource
- Ask a Librarian
ECET 380: Project Management
- Library and Online Resources
- Citation Resources
- Recommended Websites
- Instructable Examples
- Places to Purchase Materials
- Zotero Basics
- Free & Open Source Images
“A literature review is a document or section of a document that collects key sources on a topic and discusses those sources in conversation with each other (also called synthesis).” -- Purdue OWL
Literature Review Assignment Details
Your group will write the literature review together.
- Include 4-5 professional sources (journal article, professional association article, specification details, etc.).
- IEEE citation format.
- A cover page with title, every team member listed.
- Title and page number on each page, upper right hand corner.
- A References page.
- Assignment is due January 27, 11:59 PM.
All of your resources will be synthesized into one literature review. Follow the suggested steps for writing your literature review.
- Review the article themes.
- Notice the relationships between the themes and the different articles.
- Write down the overarching story between the articles.
- Introduction (what are you doing and why -- what problem are you going to solve?)
- Body (how will you do it -- what technology, materials etc. -- this is where patents, standards, articles will all inform those decisions)
- Conclusion (reiterate what, why, how)
- When writing your review, remember to use quotes sparingly and always cite where you got your information. Review signal phrases as a way to always give credit to authors.
- Learn the basics of a literature review from Purdue Owl's Writing a Literature Review
- Want to learn about the different types of literature reviews, check out Review: Outline, Strategies, and Examples ; by Study Corgi
To read example literature reviews:
1. Purdue Owl gives this example using APA.
2. And here is a paper within research gate that has a literature review section in IEEE (you just need to see the lit review as an example).
- << Previous: Library and Online Resources
- Next: Citation Resources >>
- Last Edited: Oct 18, 2023 12:34 PM
- URL: https://guides.lib.purdue.edu/entertain_tech
Generate accurate APA citations for free
- Knowledge Base
- How to cite a book in APA Style
How to Cite a Book in APA Style | Format & Examples
Published on November 14, 2019 by Jack Caulfield . Revised on July 4, 2022.
A book citation in APA Style always includes the author’s name, the publication year, the book title, and the publisher. Use the interactive tool to see examples.
Generate accurate APA citations with Scribbr
Table of contents, basic book citation format, ebooks and online books, citing a chapter from an edited book, multivolume books, where to find the information for an apa book citation, frequently asked questions about apa style citations.
The in-text citation for a book includes the author’s last name, the year, and (if relevant) a page number.
In the reference list , start with the author’s last name and initials, followed by the year. The book title is written in sentence case (only capitalize the first word and any proper nouns ). Include any other contributors (e.g. editors and translators) and the edition if specified (e.g. “2nd ed.”).
Are your APA in-text citations flawless?
The AI-powered APA Citation Checker points out every error, tells you exactly what’s wrong, and explains how to fix it. Say goodbye to losing marks on your assignment!
A citation of an ebook (i.e. a book accessed on an e-reader) or a book viewed online (e.g. on Google Books or in PDF form ) includes the DOI where available. If there is no DOI, link to the page where you viewed the book, or where the ebook can be purchased or accessed.
Since ebooks sometimes do not include page numbers, APA recommends using other methods of identifying a specific passage in your in-text citations—for example, a chapter or section title, or a paragraph number.
When citing a particular chapter from a book containing texts by various authors (e.g. a collection of essays), begin the citation with the author of the chapter and mention the book’s editor(s) later in the reference. A page range identifies the chapter’s location in the book.
Some books come in multiple volumes. You may want to cite the entire book if you’ve used multiple volumes, or just a single volume if that was all you used.
Citing a single volume
When citing from one volume of a multivolume book, the format varies slightly depending on whether each volume has a title or just a number.
If the volume has a specific title, this should be written as part of the title in your reference list entry.
Eliot, T. S. (2015). The poems of T. S. Eliot: Vol. 1. Collected and uncollected poems (C. Ricks & J. McCue, Eds.). Faber & Faber.
If the volume is only numbered, not titled, the volume number is not italicized and appears in parentheses after the title.
Dylan, B. (2005). Chronicles (Vol. 1) . Simon & Schuster.
Citing a multivolume book as a whole
When citing the whole book, mention the volumes in parentheses after the title. Individual volume titles are not included even if they do exist.
Eliot, T. S. (2015). The poems of T. S. Eliot (Vols. 1–2) (C. Ricks & J. McCue, Eds.). Faber & Faber.
All the information you need to cite a book can usually be found on the title and copyright pages.
The APA reference list entry for the book above would look like this:
Butler, C. (2002). Postmodernism: A very short introduction . Oxford University Press.
When a book’s chapters are written by different authors, you should cite the specific chapter you are referring to.
When all the chapters are written by the same author (or group of authors), you should usually cite the entire book, but some styles include exceptions to this.
- In APA Style , single-author books should always be cited as a whole, even if you only quote or paraphrase from one chapter.
- In MLA Style , if a single-author book is a collection of stand-alone works (e.g. short stories ), you should cite the individual work.
- In Chicago Style , you may choose to cite a single chapter of a single-author book if you feel it is more appropriate than citing the whole book.
The abbreviation “ et al. ” (meaning “and others”) is used to shorten APA in-text citations with three or more authors . Here’s how it works:
Only include the first author’s last name, followed by “et al.”, a comma and the year of publication, for example (Taylor et al., 2018).
In the 7th edition of the APA manual, no location information is required for publishers. The 6th edition previously required you to include the city and state where the publisher was located, but this is no longer the case.
If you’re citing from an edition other than the first (e.g. a 2nd edition or revised edition), the edition appears in the reference, abbreviated in parentheses after the book’s title (e.g. 2nd ed. or Rev. ed.).
Cite this Scribbr article
If you want to cite this source, you can copy and paste the citation or click the “Cite this Scribbr article” button to automatically add the citation to our free Citation Generator.
Caulfield, J. (2022, July 04). How to Cite a Book in APA Style | Format & Examples. Scribbr. Retrieved November 8, 2023, from https://www.scribbr.com/apa-examples/book/
Is this article helpful?
Other students also liked, apa 7th edition: the most notable changes, setting up the apa reference page | formatting & references (examples), beginner's guide to apa in-text citation, scribbr apa citation checker.
An innovative new tool that checks your APA citations with AI software. Say goodbye to inaccurate citations!
- Michael Schwartz Library
- Research Guides
EDM 312: Writing for Middle School Teachers
- APA Citations
- Articles / Research Databases
- Google Scholar
Citing Your Sources
Why are citations important? Why is it necessary to cite?
To avoid plagiarism, you must give proper credit to all sources you use! Whenever you paraphrase or directly quote information, you must cite the sources of the information using a specific citation style. One of the most commonly used citation styles is APA -- the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA) . The current version of the APA Manual is the 7th edition, 2020 . When using APA to cite your sources, you must have a list of References at the end of your paper and corresponding in-text citations in the body of your paper.
Cleveland State University takes plagiarism very seriously. Please see The Code of Student Conduct , which defines plagiarism as "stealing and/or using the ideas or writings of another in a paper or report and claiming them as your own. This includes but is not limited to the use, by paraphrase or direct quotation, of the work of another person without full and clear acknowledgment" (p. 53). Many CSU professors require their students to use a program named Turnitin.com , which checks papers for plagiarism.
Please take the time to become familiar with APA style since you will use it a lot in your courses! There are many RULES to follow when citing sources in APA style, such as order of the elements, capitalization, and punctuation.
- If you do not have access to the paper APA Manual, then refer to the Citation Guides page on the Library's Virtual Reference Desk . It contains links to websites to help you format your citations. A good starting point is the Purdue OWL site.
- The Purdue OWL is an excellent website for learning about APA Citation Style. Once you access the website, explore the links to the left, including In-Text Citations: The Basics and Reference List: Basic Rules . Review the many examples for citing different formats in APA style and the rules pertaining to Authors as well.
- The APA citing help inside a research database is a good starting point, but ALWAYS check the references because the formatting is NOT 100% correct.
- You can use free citation generators like Citation Machine or EasyBib to format citations, but they are not perfect, either! Double check your work!
- Use the References tab in Microsoft Word to insert citations and manage your sources. You can generate a reference list and insert in-text citations in your paper from this References tab. Make sure to check your citations for accuracy!
- Use Mendeley or Zotero , which are free, web-based tools "to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources." See the Mendeley Research Guide and/or the Zotero Research Guide for more information. Mendeley and Zotero are powerful reference management tools, but errors still can occur. Remember that you are responsible for the accuracy of your citations. Make sure to proofread before submitting your work.
If you need help with the writing process (including properly citing sources), then make an appointment with CSU's Writing Center , which is located on the 1st floor of the Michael Schwartz Library.
APA Manual (Paper Version)
The Michael Schwartz Library has copies of the APA Manual available for review.
- << Previous: Home
- Next: Articles / Research Databases >>
- Last Updated: Nov 6, 2023 6:30 PM
- URL: https://researchguides.csuohio.edu/edm312
The Great Depression
- Start Your Research Here
- Find Articles
- Great Depression Presidents
- The New Deal
- Great Depression Historical Footage
- Music of the 1930s
- Cite Sources
Ask a Librarian
- Make an Appointment
Online Citation Manuals
- AP Stylebook (Associated Press) This link opens in a new window Features the updated version of the Associated Press (AP) Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law used by journalists. The stylebook provides grammar, punctuation, usage, and journalistic writing guidelines. The online version includes Topical Guides, Ask the Editor, and the AP Blog. NOTE: Permits only ten simultaneous users. Please log off when finished.
- Chicago Manual of Style Online (The University of Chicago) This link opens in a new window Features formatting and documentation rules for the 16th (2010) and 17th (2017) editions of the Chicago Manual of Style. This site includes the Citation Quick Guide, Chicago Style Q & A, and related resources.
- MLA Handbook Plus (Modern Language Association) (VALE) This link opens in a new window Provides access to the online version of the 9th edition of the MLA Handbook. The site includes practice exercises, tutorials, and the MLA Guide to Undergraduate Research in Literature and MLA Guide to Digital Literacy .
Citation Style Web Sites
The following Websites provide formatting and documentation rules for various citation styles.
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (6th Edition): The OWL at Purdue
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (7th Edition): The OWL at Purdue
- APA Style (6th Edition): Frequently Asked Questions
- APA Style (7th Edition): Style and Grammar Guidelines
- APA Style Blog
- Ask the MLA
- Associated Press Stylebook: Ask the Editor
- Chicago Manual of Style 17th Edition: The OWL at Purdue
- Chicago Manual of Style Online
- Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers
- Formatting in Sociology (ASA Style): The OWL at Purdue
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide: The OWL at Purdue
- MLA Style Center: Writing Resources from the Modern Language Association of America
- Resources for Documenting Sources in the Disciplines: The OWL at Purdue
- Scientific Style and Format Online, 8th Edition
- Turabian Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
Citation Style Brochures
The following brochure provides information regarding documenting sources in various citation styles, including APA, MLA, Chicago style, and more.
- Resources for Documenting Sources: Citation Style Websites and Manuals
Citation Style Guides Gallery
ACS Style Guide: Effective Communication of Scientific Information
Service Desk (First Floor) Non-circulating
AMA Handbook of Business Writing
AMA Manual of Style (10th Edition)
(American Medical Association) Service Desk (First Floor) Non-circulating
AMA Manual of Style (11th Edition)
(American Medical Association) Electronic Resource
APA Style Guide to Electronic References, Sixth Edition
Electronic Resource Due to Federal Copyright Law, users may print one copy for their personal use only.
American Sociological Association Style Guide (7th Edition)
American sociological association style guide.
The Associated Press Stylebook 2020
The Associated Press Stylebook 2022-2024
The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation
The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition
A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Turabian manual)
Reference Collection (Second Floor)
(8th Edition) Service Desk (First Floor) Non-circulating
MLA Handbook (9th Edition)
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA)
(6th Edition) Service Desk (First Floor) Non-circulating
(7th Edition) Service Desk (First Floor) Non-circulating
Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers (Council of Science Editors)
Academic integrity at kean university.
Kean University's Academic Integrity Policy explains the importance placed on intellectual honesty, personal ethics and values for all members of the Kean academic community.
Plagiarism is one type of academic integrity violation, and it has very serious consequences. In order to avoid committing plagiarism, the work presented by an individual must truly represent the work of that person, and such work must acknowledge the source of any words, ideas, data, images, music, etc. that have been incorporated into a paper, presentation, Web site, multimedia project, and so on.
Citations to the original source material must accompany word-for-word quotes enclosed in quotation marks, block quotations, and paraphrased material (ideas that you have put into your own words).
While you gather source material for your research projects, make sure that you keep track of the information you will need in order to acknowledge your sources.
EndNote Online will help you to organize your source information and then to create bibliographies in your required citation styles (such as APA or MLA).
Find out more about EndNote Online, including how to sign up for your own free account
- << Previous: Music of the 1930s
- Last Updated: Nov 3, 2023 2:11 PM
- URL: https://libguides.kean.edu/c.php?g=1356714