Share this page
Land the job with cover letter templates
Show hiring managers why you're the perfect job candidate with professional, customizable cover letter templates. find the perfect cover letter template for any industry or career path..
Download free cover letter templates
Stand out from other job applicants with free, professional cover letter templates. Cover letters are a perfect complement to your resume and provide an effective opportunity to show your personality and enthusiasm for a position. Focus on writing a compelling cover letter and let a professionally designed template do the rest.
These free cover letter templates are perfect for any stage of your career, whether you're looking to land an internship or your dream job. If you're applying for a corporate position, you may want to opt for a simple cover letter template. There are a variety of other cover letter designs available, from basic cover letter templates to creative cover letter templates.
Each of these cover letter templates is customizable in Word , so you can add your own text, change design elements, and more. Print out your cover letter or download it for free to use for online job applications. Once you've customized the perfect cover letter, explore resume templates that will match your cover letter design, or download free business cards for your next networking event.
- Search Search Please fill out this field.
- Career Planning
- Finding a Job
- Cover Letters
Sample Cover Letter for a Job Application
What is an Application Letter?
What to include in your application letter, tips for writing a cover letter, cover letter sample and template, email cover letter sample.
- How to Send an Email Application
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Alex Dos Diaz / The Balance
What's the best way to write a letter to apply for a job? Your letter should detail your specific qualifications for the position and the skills you would bring to the employer. What’s most important is to show the employer that you’re a perfect match for the job.
Your job application letter is an opportunity to highlight your most relevant qualifications and experience. An effective cover letter will enhance your application, showcase your achievements, and increase your chances of landing an interview.
Review what to include in a job application letter, tips for writing a letter that will get your application notice, and examples of letters and email messages sent to apply for a job.
- An application letter accompanies a resume and may be uploaded to a job portal, sent via email, or even sent by postal mail, depending on the employer’s requirements.
- Application letters are an ideal way to show your interest in a job and highlight your most relevant skills.
- It’s important to match your letter to the job description and show the employer that you have the qualifications they are seeking.
A letter of application, also known as a cover letter , is a document sent with your resume to provide additional information about your skills and experience to an employer. Your letter of application is intended to provide detailed information on why you are an ideal candidate for the job.
Your application letter should let the employer know what position you are applying for, what makes you a strong candidate, why they should select you for an interview, and how you will follow up.
Effective application letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific organization and identify the most relevant skills that qualify you for the job.
Your application letter should let the employer know what position you are applying for, explain your qualifications for the job, why you should be selected for an interview, and how you will follow up.
Unless an employer specifically requests a job application letter sent by postal mail, today most cover letters are sent by email or attached as a file in an online application tracking system.
As with all cover letters, a job application letter is divided into sections:
- The heading includes your name and contact information.
- A greeting addressed to a specific person, if possible.
- The introduction includes why the applicant is writing.
- The body discusses your relevant qualifications and what you have to offer the employer.
- The close thanks the reader and provides contact information and follow-up details.
- Your signature to end the letter .
Here’s how to ensure that your application supports your resume, highlights your most relevant qualifications, and impresses the hiring manager.
Get off to a direct start. In your first paragraph, explain why you are writing. Mention the job title and company name, and where you found the job listing. While you can also briefly mention why you are a strong candidate, this section should be short and to the point.
Offer something different than what's in your resume. You can make your language a bit more personal than in your resume bullet points, and you can tell a narrative about your work experience and career.
Application letters typically accompany resumes, so your letter should showcase information that your resume doesn't.
Make a good case. Your first goal with this letter is to progress to the next step: an interview. Your overarching goal, of course, is to get a job offer. Use your application letter to further both causes. Offer details about your experience and background that show why you are a good candidate. How have other jobs prepared you for the position? What would you bring to the position, and to the company? Use this space to emphasize your strengths .
Close with all the important details. Include a thank you at the end of your letter. You can also share your contact information and mention how you will follow up.
This is a sample cover letter. Download the cover letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for an email sample.
John Donaldson 8 Sue Circle Smithtown, CA 08067 909-555-5555 email@example.com
September 6, 2022
George Gilhooley LTC Company 87 Delaware Road Hatfield, CA 08065
Dear Mr. Gilhooley,
I am writing to apply for the programmer position advertised in the Times Union. As requested, I enclose my certification, resume, and references.
The role is very appealing to me, and I believe that my strong technical experience and education make me a highly competitive candidate for this position. My key strengths that would support my success in this position include:
- I have successfully designed, developed, and supported live-use applications.
- I strive continually for excellence.
- I provide exceptional contributions to customer service for all customers.
With a BS degree in computer programming, I have a comprehensive understanding of the full lifecycle of software development projects. I also have experience in learning and applying new technologies as appropriate. Please see my resume for additional information on my experience.
I can be reached anytime via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 909-555-5555.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this employment opportunity.
Signature (hard copy letter)
The following is a sample email cover letter to send as part of a job application.
Email Application Letter Example
Subject: Colleen Warren - Web Content Manager Position
Dear Hiring Manager,
I'm writing to express my interest in the Web Content Manager position listed on Monster.com. I have experience building large, consumer-focused, health-based content sites. While much of my experience has been in the business world, I understand the social value of this sector, and I am confident that my business experience will be an asset to your organization.
My responsibilities have included the development and management of website editorial voice and style, editorial calendars, and the daily content programming and production for various websites.
I have worked closely with health care professionals and medical editors to provide the best possible information to a consumer audience of patients. I have also helped physicians to use their medical content to write user-friendly and easily comprehensible text.
Experience has taught me how to build strong relationships with all departments in an organization. I have the ability to work within a team, as well as cross-team. I can work with web engineers to resolve technical issues and implement technical enhancements.
I am confident working with development departments to implement design and functional enhancements, monitor site statistics, and conduct search engine optimization.
Thank you for your consideration.
Colleen Warren email@example.com 555-123-1234 www.linked.com/colleenwarren
How to Send an Email Application Letter
If sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title you are applying for in the subject line of the email:
Colleen Warren - Web Content Manager Position
Include your contact information in your email signature but don't list the employer's contact information.
Do you have to write a cover letter when you apply for a job?
Some employers require cover letters. If they do, it will be mentioned in the job posting. Otherwise, it’s optional but it can help your chances of securing an interview. A cover letter gives you a chance to sell yourself to the employer, showcase your qualifications, and explain why you are a perfect candidate for the job.
How can you use a cover letter to show you’re a qualified candidate?
One of the easiest ways to show an employer how you’re qualified for a job is to make a list of the requirements listed in the job posting and match them to your resume. Mention your most relevant qualifications in your cover letter, so the hiring manager can see, at a glance, that you have the credentials they are looking for.
CareerOneStop. " How Do I Write a Cover Letter ?"
CareerOneStop. “ Effective Cover Letters .”
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
Cover Letter Template
While a resume provides details to show you CAN do the work, a cover letter shows you WANT to do the work. Cover letters are used to introduce you to the prospective employer, highlight the most important details about you, and if well written, entice the reader to seriously review your resume. Continue reading below to learn how to write a cover letter, see examples of cover letters and to download a free cover letter template .
Resume Cover Letter Template
Looking for a change in employment? Use this free resume cover letter template to help you get started. Looking for help on Resumes? Check out our tips and templates for resumes .
Author : Brent Weight and Jon Wittwer
License : Limited Use
Cover Letter Objectives
Before writing a cover letter, make sure you have a clear understanding of the goals or objectives for the letter. These objectives include:
- Introduce yourself and your resume
- Explain your experience in more detail by providing pertinent stories or experiences
- Provide a sample of your written communication
- Hook the reader so they will want to read your resume
Personalize Your Cover Letter
Cover letters should be personalized as much as possible. Never send out the same cover letter twice. It may require you to do some research and to reach out to your network to make connections and introductions. Here are some things to include.
- Make sure you tailor your letter to a specific individual and greet them by name.
- If you don't have a name, then consider skipping the generic salutation.
- Try to include details specific to the company or the position.
- Provide a reference about how you heard about the job. This may include the date of the newspaper post or the online job reference number.
- If you have had prior contact with the recipient, remind them of it in the introduction.
- Be sure to mention any third parties that are recommending you or referring you for the position.
- Consider listing the job you are applying for in a subject line.
The main body of the cover letter should have appropriate content. Don't use it to simply recreate your resume. Pick 3 or 4 key traits, skills or attributes you really want to highlight and focus on those. Consider picking traits that may be most appropriate based on the job listing. Use experiences, stories and results to demonstrate your use or possession of the traits or attributes.
Make sure you end with a strong closing that is short and to the point. The time for details and stories has passed. Consider inviting them to read your resume and include a request for a response or an interview. You may decide to keep the ball in your court and simply inform them you will follow up with a phone call. And be considerate and thank them for their time.
Additional Cover Letter Writing Tips
- Use a formal business letter structure - You are writing a letter, not a memo or email. Use a formal business letter template .
- Avoid bad grammar and spelling. - Poorly written and edited letters can kill your chances before they even look at your resume. Consider hiring a professional to edit your cover letter.
- Don't sound desperate Avoid sounding desperate by avoiding phrases such as "I really need this job" or "I hope you pick me".
- Use formatting wisely - Use formatting such as bullets, italics, bold and font changes to draw attention to key items and to increase readability.
- Avoid anything negative - Honesty about issues or special circumstances you face is important, but you don't have to mention it in your cover letter. Use interviews to provide these details.
- Keep it short - Your letter should highlight and demonstrate, not bore and wander. Keep to the main points and be succinct.
- Don't mess up in the delivery - Make sure your letter looks correct when printed. Consider using nicer paper for actual letters. When sending electronically, send it as a PDF since almost everyone has software to read a PDF file.
- Avoid uncommon language - Avoid terms that are specific to past employers and not used my most people. This would include acronyms and company jargon.
Sample Cover Letters
Sample cover letter for recent graduate.
Bill Stevenson 123 Anywhere Street Somewhereville, Best State 88889
Mr. Ryan Francom IT Manager XYZ Aviation Company 456 Somewhere Road Best Town, Best State 88888
Dear Mr. Francom,
In May, I will graduate from Tech University with a Master's of Science in Aeronautical Engineering. I am seeking to pursue my life long goal of becoming an aeronautical engineer for a world-class aviation company. Let me briefly highlight the skills, values and passion I will bring to XYZ Aviation Company.
- Lifelong passion for all things aeronautical including receiving my pilot's license at the age of 15.
- Solid understanding of aeronautical design processes and procedures gained at ABC Corp as a Level 1 engineer.
- Ability to work with others on interdisciplinary design teams in order to meet goals and complete projects on time.
- An aptitude for defining problems and identifying creative solutions while building consensus between all affected parties.
- A hardworking and self-directed work ethic with a dedication to detail.
An interview to further review your needs and my skills would be mutually beneficial. Next week I will contact you to schedule an interview. I look forward to talking to you soon.
Example Cover Letter
Nancy Thompson 123 Anywhere Street Somewhereville, Best State 88889
Ms. Emily Smith HR Manager XYZ Company 456 Somewhere Road Best Town, Best State 88888
Dear Ms. Smith,
Bob Jones, your IT director, suggested that I contact you regarding the recently listed Sales Director position. I would love to be an integral part of your leadership team and contribute my proven management skills, efficiency and productivity to your corporate goals.
Highlights of my 20 year career include
- Over 10 years of experience managing direct sales staff with 20 years of marketing and sales experience.
- Creation and implementation of a direct sales program with annual sales reaching $50 million in less than 4 years.
- Deadlines met on time and in budget with a willingness to work with others to accomplish corporate tasks.
- Led the successful acquisition and merger of ACME Companies catalog sales division with ABC Companies sales division.
I am confident my qualifications will allow me to add significant value to your company as the Sales Director. I will call you directly to schedule an appropriate time for us to speak about the challenges and opportunities your company faces and how I can contribute to your company's future growth and success. Thank you in advance for your time.
More Resume Cover Letter Templates
There are some sample cover letters in the Microsoft Office template gallery, under the category Letters . You can also find templates by opening Microsoft Word, going to File > New, and searching for "resume cover letter." Below are examples of some of the letters you can find this way:
- Resume Cover Letter to Use When Referred by a Colleague
- Cover Letter for an Entry-Level Resume
- Cover Letter in Response to Advertisement
- ... for a Temporary Position
- ... Announcing Your Job Search
- ... for a Functional Resume
- ... with Salary Requirements
- ... for Unsolicited Resume
Below are some additional resources to help you write a great cover letter for your resume. They contain additional writing guidelines and tips.
- What is a Cover Letter? at purdue.edu - A down-and-dirty guide to writing cover letters.
- 6 Secrets to Writing a Great Cover Letter at forbes.com - Some extra tips
- Cover Letter Tips (PDF) at michigan.gov - Basic cover letter structure and tips with additional examples.
- Cover Letter Writing at northwestern.edu
Follow Us On ...
Resume types, sample resumes, letter templates.
Free All-in-One Office Suite with PDF Editor
Edit Word, Excel, and PPT for FREE.
Read, edit, and convert PDFs with the powerful PDF toolkit.
Microsoft-like interface, easy to use.
Windows • MacOS • Linux • iOS • Android
Select areas that need to improve
- Didn't match my interface
- Too technical or incomprehensible
- Incorrect operation instructions
- Incomplete instructions on this function
Fields marked * are required please
Please leave your suggestions below
- Quick Tutorials
- Practical Skills
Editable & Printable Sample Cover Letter for Job Application Word Format
Searing for the per fect sample cover letter for job application in word format for job hunting? Well, don’t look further. Here you will be able to grab professional cover application letters for every type. A cover letter is a small concise document that has been presented along with a resume or CV. It consists of 250 to 500 words. It mainly introduces you and your work summary briefly & concisely.
In this article, you will find well-organized & profes sional sample cover letter for a job application in word format. Designing a cover letter on your own is not as easy as you have to follow the exact pattern. Why not go with a sample cover letter for a job application in word format? Below, I have mentioned the best cover letter templates:
1. Editors Cover Letter Word Template:
If you want to apply for an editor’s job in a newspaper advertisement. Send your resume along with a small minimalistic cover letter. The blue box highlights the personal information or starting phrase of the letter.
2. Personal Job Application Word Template:
This is the best sample cover letter for a job application in word format. If your job demands a detailed cover letter along with a CV, this bordered layout design is perfect to download.
3. Doctors Job application Word Template:
Are you hunting for a new job as a doctor? Look at this tempting & professional sample cover letter for job application in word format. You can easily & quickly edit this super simple layout design.
4. Cover Letter for Trade Personnel Word Template:
This is the perfect downloadable sample cover letter for job application in word format for grabbing a trade personnel’s job. Such a well-organized & sophisticated template will make you look proficient among all candidates.
5. Application Letter for Engineering Position word Template:
Are you an engineer? Looking for a free sample cover letter for a job application in word format. This beautiful & attractive cover letter along with your resume makes the perfect match for hunting for a job.
6. Employment Application Form Word Template:
Look at this well-explained tabular formed online sample cover letter for job application in word format. It is easy to edit & modify and one can easily understand it with a single view.
7. Cover Letter for Financial Staff Word Template:
For financial staff posts, this is the best cover letter template to download. A simple & minimalistic layout design helps you to understand them quickly & efficiently. Fill in the blanks to edit this for you.
8. Cover Letter for Secretary Position Word Template:
Don’t miss out on this well-explained sophisticated & simple cover letter layout. It is multi-purpose and can be customized for any kind of cover letter but best to catch for the secretary position.
9. Application Letter for Teachers Position Word Template:
Look at this well-defined professional sample cover letter for job application in word format. If you apply for a template, this layout design will serve you the best.
10. Researcher Cover Letter Word Template:
This is the best sample cover letter for a job application in word format. Download this if you are applying for a researcher’s job. It will make you prominent among all candidates.
A sample cover letter for a job application in word format has to be attached with a CV or resume document that summarizes you and your work minimalistic ally. WPS office software is the best site for producing high-quality templates. Visit WPS office software or download it online for grabbing highly designed templates.
- 1. Latest 10 Free Cover Letter Template for 2023
- 2. Editable & Printable Sample Cover Letter for Job Application Word Format
- 3. 10 Printable Fax Cover Sheet Template Word 2023
- 4. How to make a cover letter for a resume in WPS Office Word
- 5. New Cover Letter Template Free Download 2023
- 6. 9+ Printable Word Cover Letter Template Free Download
15 years of office industry experience, tech lover and copywriter. Follow me for product reviews, comparisons, and recommendations for new apps and software.
- Sample Letters
FREE 16+ Sample Job Application Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
A job application cover letter is not something which will surely win a job but makes a difference in the way your resume looks. Imagine a job application without a Sales Cover Letter or a job application with imperfectly written cover letter. The outcome is surely pointless. The employer must have a great impression right from the start when you are applying for a job. A good cover letter explicates why you are above all the other aspirants and are worth the consideration.
Sample Job Application Cover Letter Template
Application cover letter - 10+ free samples, examples & format, job application cover letter - 8 + samples , examples & formats, sample application cover letter - 9+ examples in word, pdf, cover letter sample for job application in word format.
- Google Docs
Email Cover Letter for Job Application Template
Sample Cover Letter For Job Application Doc
Cover Letter For Job Fresher
Sample Of Cover Letter For Employment
Cover Letter Sample For Job Application In Word Format Doc
When you are unemployed and seriously looking for a job you must apply using an effective cover letter sample . It will highlight your strengths and mention your achievements so the CV is worth considering. We provide such templates in a word format which can be easily edited.
Professional Cover Letter Template
Such kind of job application is made when the job has not been published or advertised but you want to apply prior to any notice online. You must add an effectual introductory cover letter which makes your application look excellent and the employer considers you before even the job is advertized or keeps on hold to employ you within short notice. Draft an e-mail and attach an effective cover letter with it using our template.
Printable Cover Letter for Job Application Template
If you are applying for a job as a fresher then you must properly draft an efficient and concise job cover letter . It should include details if you have previously worked with other short term job/projects in college or school which makes a good impact that you can finish the tasks in a deadline for which the employer is hiring.
Perfect Cover Letter For Any Job
Size: 226 KB
If you are applying for a change is carrier then a cover letter format is of great significance. It must emphasize your qualities which are useful to help you change your carrier. Include the linked projects which are a collaboration of your skills involved current job and a merger for qualifications as well as skills you need to enter your prospected job so as to get you a better link to highlight yourself to your next employer.
Simple Job Cover Letter Template
Teacher Job Application Cover Letter
Formal Job Application Cover Letter Template
Basic Job Application Cover Letter
Job Application Cover Letter Example
Executive Job Application Cover Letter
General Application Letter For Any Position
Size: 25 KB
Covering Letter Format
Uses of Job Application Cover Letter Template
A cover letter is a one page correspondence that should be part of sample application for any job application.
- It presents a customized overview of the applicant.
- It helps you initiate a correspondence with the employer.
- This will introduce you
- The job cover letter will highlight your achievements very briefly and include the star factors of your employability.
Target Audience of Job Application Cover Letter Template
- Nurses, Architects
- All job applicants
Benefits of Job Application Cover Letter Template
You may be applying for an explicit job or might be contacting a prospective owner to find out if they have any opportunity for you. Both ways, your cover letter must include all important information.
- It helps you apply for the specific designation as mentioning the designation and department in cover letter makes it easy for the application to be sorted out and considered.
- The skills, experiences, your name, name of big projects plan or associations you have been a part sprays sparkle on your Job Application.
- The polite and persuasive tone of the job cover letter also makes your job application very interesting and important.
How to design Job Application Cover Letter Template
A cover letter must be of only one page. It should include:
- Brief and customized introduction
- Full name of the Addressee and the Designation
- Write your name and contact details
- Name of job and designation you are applying for
- Your skills and brief experience
We provide you an outstanding job application cover letter which suits your job application. The cover letter and the resume must have a total sink which we will provide you in the cover letter. We prepare job application cover letters in word and pdf formats. The personalized letter is produced to make an effective application and your simple Resume is considered.
How to write a cover letter.
To write a cover letter: Address the hiring manager, introduce yourself, highlight relevant skills and experiences, explain why you’re a good fit for the position, and request an interview.
How important is a cover letter?
A cover letter is important as it complements your resume, allowing you to showcase your personality, passion, and specific qualifications for the job, making a stronger impression on employers.
What should I say in a cover letter for a job application?
In a job application cover letter, introduce yourself, mention the position you’re applying for, explain why you’re a suitable candidate, and express your enthusiasm for the role and company.
How do I write a cover letter for an entry job application?
For an entry-level cover letter , emphasize your eagerness to learn, transferable skills, any relevant coursework or internships , and your enthusiasm for starting your career with the company.
What makes a strong cover letter?
A strong cover letter is concise, tailored to the job, highlights relevant skills and experiences, shows enthusiasm, and demonstrates how you can add value to the company.
In conclusion, I am enthusiastic about the possibility of contributing my skills to [Company Name]. My diverse experience and passion align seamlessly with the advertised role. I look forward to the opportunity for a discussion to further elaborate on how my expertise can positively impact your team. Thank you for your consideration.
If you have any DMCA issues on this post, please contact us !
Free 12+ letter of support templates in ms word | apple pages | google docs | pdf, free 14+ quotation letter samples in pdf | ms word | pages | google docs, free 14+ apology letters to teacher in pdf | ms word | pages | google docs, free 34+ formal request letter templates in pdf | ms word, 10 free debt verification letter samples & templates, free 11+ sample internship acceptance letter templates in pdf | ms word | pages | google docs, 11 free nomination letter samples & templates, free 12+ query letter samples in pdf | ms word, 12 free consent letter samples & templates, free 12+ sample grant proposal letter templates in ms word | apple pages | pdf, free 16+ employment letter samples in ms word | pdf, 11 free collaboration letter samples & templates, free 21+ sample endorsement letter samples & templates in pdf | ms word, 13 free security deposit return letter samples & templates, free 9+ permission request letter samples in ms word | pages | google docs | ms outlook | pdf, sample cover letter for job - 8+ examples in word, pdf, sample of cover letter - 9+ examples in word, pdf, email cover letter sample - 9+ examples in word, pdf, internship cover letter - 13+ samples , examples & formats.